top of page

Aannsha’s Blog #171 – Finike to Smugglers to Kaş

Updated: Mar 27, 2021

We left Finike marina at 13:15 hrs and brought out both sails, reefed slightly (they’re both furling sails so there aren’t set reef points). With 17 knots of true wind coming from our starboard bow, we were close hauled, but achieved a very respectable 7 knots speed over ground (SOG).

We were about 45 minutes into our passage when the headsail started flogging, so we furled that in and tried sailing with just the mainsail out. Then we turned on the engine. But as we turned towards our destination, not only did the wind sit right on our nose, but we also had 1 knot of current against us and our SOG dropped to 4.5 knots. By 3pm we had increased our revs and brought our SOG up to 5 knots.

Picture perfect bay

By the time we dropped anchor in the protected Smuggler’s bay on the eastern end of Kekova Island, it was 16:40 hrs and we were glad to get out of the chilly wind. Anchoring was a breeze in 5m of sand and we let 30m of chain out.

I can’t describe how happy I was to be at anchor in this picturesque bay, with the calm water glinting in the final hour or so of the sun’s rays, which dipped behind the brush covered hills. Snuggled into this bay in ideal weather conditions, with only one other boat, reminded me how much I appreciate being at anchor.

Once the sun set, the temperature dropped quickly and Baz and I went down below to enjoy dinner and a good night’s sleep. We woke up the next morning to watch the moon setting over sun-gilded hills as the sun rose behind the tiny island opposite.

I took the helm

Our new friend Kris had gifted us a couple of custom embroidered peaked caps when he arrived in Kaş, along with a couple of stubbie holders. One set was marked Captain, and one First Mate. The stubbie holders have been getting a good workout already, and on this trip, we got to wear our caps.

Baz carefully negotiated our passage out of Smuggler’s cove – managing to stay away from all of the submerged rocks and also the sunken ship wreck. While he did that, I spent a good few minutes trying to dislodge a large wodge of mud off the anchor. I trailed the anchor in the water as Baz picked up speed and most of the mud fell off. Then I lifted the anchor and scraped the remnants off with the aluminium pole that I have for that particular job.

Once we were in the channel between Kekova and the mainland, Baz handed me the helm and said he had various office things to do, so I was Captain for the day. Surprisingly unphased, I took over and enjoyed my time setting our route, navigating out through the Kekova islands and making our way back to Kaş.

The sky was filled with grey clouds and along the way we had a bit of light rain closer to Kaş. But by that time we’d changed into our warm wet weather gear and eventually swapped our snazzy new caps for beanies.

After a four hour ten minute passage, Baz took over and docked elegantly at the fuel station. I have to admit it was the most controlled and … well, slow … arrival at the fuel dock he’d made. This turtle speed however, allowed me to simply hand the fuel guy the bow line and receive it easily to tie back to the cleat. And Baz had ample time to tie the stern line too.

Biocide in the fuel

Wanting to prevent any growth of diesel bug in our fuel tank, Baz added the correct amount of biocide into the tank before filling up with diesel. Then he reversed the short way back to Pontoon B, where we had a warm “Welcome to your home” from the marinero, who assisted us tying to our berth.


Very satisfied with a wonderful long test of our engine, a refreshing holiday in Finike and a restful night at scenic Kekova Island, Baz and I hi-fived and happily put A B Sea to bed. I love our boat home.

To watch the YouTube episode that dovetails with this blog, just click here.

Until next week, I wish you health and happiness, as you take the actions that bring your dreams to life.


bottom of page