It was a nail biting week this week, as Baz put the engine back together in readiness for testing. In the back of both of our minds was the unspoken thought: “Will it work when Baz fires it up?”
Before we could begin the test though, the parts we’d removed had to be put back on and the whole thing took about five hours, mainly because the engine compartment is confined and spaces between engine parts are narrow, making it difficult to position tools like spanners.
Adjusting the impeller puller
One part that was difficult to change was the impeller. As you may remember from a couple of weeks back, Baz had bought an impeller puller, but the centre shaft was too long to fit in the space. However after a brilliant suggestion from a subscriber, Baz cut a part of the shaft off the front end of the impeller screw mechanism and was able to fit it, and then use it to remove the old impeller. The old one was very misshapen and so he replaced it with a new one, easing it in with washing up liquid.
Everything else fitted as it should eventually. And that meant it was time to test the engine.
I was so nervous at the thought of what may or may not happen. There were so many things that could go wrong, although I trust Baz’s attention to detail and knowing how he used to service his cars back in the day before computer additions to engines, another part of me was confident it would all work out fine.
Make sure there’s enough water to cool the engine
I just didn’t have to stuff up what I had to do. Which was turn on the hose pipe so Baz could fill up the makeshift holding tank and buckets with water, and also the raw water intake. Basically, he needed to have as much water ready to pour into the raw water intake once the engine was fired up. It’s a water cooled engine and usually sea water is drawn up, passes other pipes that are filled with fresh water, which circulate around the engine. The heat is exchanged from the fresh water into the raw water and that’s dumped out of the boat’s exhaust with the exhaust fumes from the engine.
Because we were 3 metres off the ground, the amount of water coming out of the hose pipe wasn’t a fast enough flow to fill the raw water intake once the engine was switched on. Hence the holding tank and extra buckets of water.
We also have a hot water system that is heated by the engines fresh water system, so Baz had to take into consideration the extra fresh water that would be channelled to the hot water tank once the water achieved the temperature to open the thermostat.
So apart from turning on the hose – which I did actually stuff up, as I turned it halfway and when Baz shouted “Stop!”, I turned it full on, instead of off … so he ended up with a puddle on the floor by the time I’d realised my error! Woops.
Not a great start.
I have to start the engine
Baz managed to maintain his cool and proceeded to the next phase which was instructing me to “Fire her up!”
All I had to do was turn the key in the ignition. I was so nervous, I could hardly breathe.
I turned the key.