Barry's Blog # 33 – Oh just one more thing...

"How much do you want?" Jose asked.

"Forty or fifty metres should do it." I replied.

Adding an extra 48 metres to our anchor line

This was going to be the last job on our seemingly never ending list of things to replace, repair or modify on A B Sea.

Attached to the shaft of our shiny new Mantus anchor is 50 metres of 10mm galvanised anchor chain which will allow us to anchor in water depths of up to 12 metres (39 feet) using a scope of 4 to 1. Roughly translated that means we let out four times the amount of chain relative to the depth of water the anchor was dropped in. With 50 metres (164 feet) of chain we were generally OK for dropping anchor in most coastal areas of The Med but we plan on also anchoring around Greece where anchoring can sometimes be in deeper water, so we added and extra 48 metres of warp (rope) to the end of our anchor chain. I always prefer to have too much and not need to use it, rather than finding out that I don't have enough to anchor just where I want.

As I said, it was meant to be the last job on the list, but over the last 10 weeks of getting work done we have found out that on boats one job generally tends to lead to the creation of several new jobs. This time was no exception. When our new Mantus anchor is hauled up and sitting snugly on the bow roller it sits very very close to the fibreglass prow of the hull, too close for our comfort. Taking a close up look at that area we can see evidence of previous accidental contact between the anchor and boat. This is not good, so to protect the prow we have asked Paco (the stainless steel guy) to manufacture a big stainless steel shield which will wrap around the prow and provide 100% protection against any knocks that are bound to happen. I'll keep you informed about how that works out.

The anchor is too close to the bow for our comfort

The final invoice

We have mentioned in previous blogs and our YouTube videos about how generous Jose (our broker) has been in the negotiation process of which repair/replacement jobs he would cover at his businesses expense and which we would be paying for. The only major unknown cost was the labour component in several of the big jobs like the davits and solar installations. So when Monday morning rolled around we were a tad nervous as we walked over to Jose's office to go through the final invoice. In the end it wasn't too bad and we have made the final bank transfer, so by the time you're reading this we are technically the proud owners of A B Sea. Now the race against time really is on, because everything in Spain shuts down for the whole month of August, therefore we need to get the paperwork processed as quickly as possible before then. Once we have legal (paperwork) ownership we can suss out which insurance company will be best for us and get that sorted too. Tick tock, tick tock.

Reviewing the final invoice with Jose & Marina

There will be a separate blog and YouTube video where we'll break down all of our costs item by item because I know quite a few people have expressed an interest in seeing what things cost in getting them completed in Spain. There will also be a walk through video of the complete interior and exterior of A B Sea at some point before we leave the marina.

Hook me up Bro

The ongoing quest for Internet connection is just that, ongoing! Trying to find a sim card which will give us enough monthly data allowance at a reasonable price, which will also allow roami