Aannsha’s Blog #31 – Cut to the beat baby

While Baz has been taking care of a few final projects, I got to work on revamping the two existing lifebuoys.

Reflective lifebuoys

This lifering needs revamping

We checked them out and agreed they’re of sound construction – the hard type that will knock you out if you get in the way when one’s thrown at you – but they were perfectly usable except for losing the shine from the reflective strips and not having any grab rope attached.

As luck had it, we saved a whole heap of strips from the unusable life jackets that were also left from the previous owners. These jackets were in good condition except that it looks as if they were put away before rinsing sea water off them and the zips of all but two of the eight jackets were buggered. It annoyed me, not because we’d been ‘sold’ duds, but because I hate waste. I reluctantly threw them away after Baz and I had done everything we could to get the zippers working, only to have several of them crumble in our hands. Before they were binned however, we salvaged the belts with plastic clips, the whistles and four reflective strips off each jacket.

Armed with 24 strips, I set about sticking them over the old ones on the two life rings and then strung new rope through the holes and around the rings. Now if there’s a man overboard, we’ve got two usable, easily seen lifebuoys to throw at him. Not too close though, we don’t want to risk concussion! Another good job done.

Get those mozzies!

Mozzies are eating us alive!

Summer heat + water + plus open hatches = Mosquitoes!

We got fed up of swatting them with our electric swatter. It did carry a macabre feeling of fun at first, swatting them and then watching them sizzle on the electric bars of the tennis racket looking swatter. But our preferred option is simply not having mozzies in the boat in the first place. It’s better for us and definitely better for the mozzies.

We did some research and covered the hatches with an insect screen which attaches with Velcro that sticks around the edge of the hatch, but that’s not sturdy enough to be put on and taken off daily so it wasn’t a viable option for the companionway (front door). We found another solution which was an insect screen that sits in a frame which attaches to the surrounds by a magnetic strip. I spent a good part of one day with lots of Barry’s help repurposing one of these.

Making the frame

I won’t say it was a fun project. It was fiddly and took longer than anticipated. It was made for a standard square house window and we had to redesign it to cover the L-shaped companionway. That included overlapping some of the netting to fit the longer thinner shape of our doorway than the piece of net provided. But we now have a mozzie screen for our front door that completely seals the boat once dusk falls.